There are many advantages in using Stumbelbloc when building:
- Construction can be achieved with unskilled labour (from a solid and level foundation).
- The only tools required for making a brick is a shovel (for mixing) and a builder’s trowel (for finishing).
- No separate energy source such as electricity/petrol/diesel is necessary to build bricks. This, together with their longevity and insulation properties, make them environmentally friendly with a low carbon footprint.
- Moulds are lubricated using old cooking oil.
- Construction can be achieved in record time, e.g. 3 x 4m house to roof line in 1 day (with 4 men). Construction method saves 50% of similar construction costs.
- Any surplus Blockgrip can be recycled into making blocks.
- No lintels are required for standard door and window openings. An equivalent lintel can be achieved by steel rod and concrete additions to the Stumbelbloc cavities above the opening, saving both time and money.
- Stumbelbloc cavities can be used for pipework/electrics and can also be filled with polystyrene chips (regrind) for insulation purposes.
- Stumbelbloc can handle load bearing and can be built in excess of 3m high in one day with immediate load bearing i.e. used for shuttering of concrete columns.
- Stumbelbloc‘s are joined together with thin bed mortar – Blockgrip (SABS & NHBRC approved) – instead of conventional mortar. The Blockgrip is applied only to the bottom of each block by simply dipping the base of the block into the mix. This makes building more than 10 x faster and significantly cheaper.
- The most attractive and cost effective method of finishing is to plaster with our approved skim plaster (SABS & NHBRC) – a 3mm skim not only provides a waterproof layer but also requires minimal skill versus standard finish.
- The same process may be used internally but if a cheaper process is required rag rolling with simple mortar will suffice.
- Stumbelbloc construction creates virtually no site waste from rubble. A typical days construction using Stumbelbloc will result in less than a barrow load of waste, further cutting costs. It is ideal for areas for in which a clean construction is required.